Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Very delicious. Makes a big cake. Use either Granny Smith or Macintosh apples. Can use Golden Delicious apples too.
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup salad oil
- 3 cups flour, sifted
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 large apples, macintosh (pared, cored and sliced thin) or 4 large granny smith apples or 4 large golden delicious apples
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (optional)
- Toss the apples with lemon juice to prevent darkening.
- Cake Batter:.
- MIx dry ingredients, including 2 cups sugar.
- Make a hole in center and add eggs, juice, oil and vanilla.
- Beat with mixer for 2 minutes. The batter will be thick.
- Pour half of the batter into greased and floured 10 inch tube pan. Arrange half the apples over the top of batter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar which have been mixed together. You can add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts if desired. Cover with remaining batter and top this with remaining apple slices and sprinkle the same way with the sugar-cinnamon-nut mixture. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes to 1 and 1/2 hours at 350 degrees.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 25 minutes.
- Take cake out of the pan.
My Mom's recipe for this cake was almost identical....always a crowd pleaser and best after aging a few days. If taking to a get together, be sure to make it a day or two ahead of time.
Two changes I would also suggest....skip the nuts.....not necessary. Also, sprinkling a sugar/cinnamon mix over each layer of apples adds to both inside cinnamon marbling and overall attractiveness of cake.