Recipe by Brenda.
Beautiful red beets contrast with the pasta in this unusual way of using fresh beets. I found this recipe on a vitamin website.
Top Review by Paris D
We felt that the beet flavor totally masked the flavor of the feta. This really tasted like cooked beets over pasta, which it was. To the extent that I like beets, it was good. I just think it needs something else to add complexity and make it taste like more than diced beets over pasta ... I'm just not sure what that something else is!
- 4 medium beets, scrubbed
- 12 ounces linguine, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil beets in their skins for about 45 minutes.
- While beets are cooking, cook linguine in boiling water until done. Drain linguine, reserving about 1 cup of the liquid.
- Rinse beets well under cold running water and slide the skins off. Chop beets into 1/2-inch cubes (or smaller).
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet and add onions. Cook onions until tender, and lightly browned.
- Add chopped beets and salt to the onions.
- Transfer the pasta into the skillet with the beets and onions. Stir until the pasta and the beets are well combined.
- Top with the crumbled feta cheese and the freshly ground pepper.