Recipe by Perfect Pixie
These are great at Easter, but for me just another excuse to get in some jelly beans, LOL!!! they are very cute
- 6 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 ounces assorted jelly beans
- decorative candies or sherbet, to fill nests
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a round cookie cutter or a small can, trace the outline of a 3 ½ inch to 4 inch circle, for 10 circles. Set aside.
- In the clean, dry mixing bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg whites, salt and cream of tartar, until soft peaks form.
- With the mixer running, add almond extract and gradually add sugar.
- Beat until stiff and glossy.
- Spoon about ¾ cup meringue onto parchment lined baking sheet, using tracing lines as a guide for size.
- With a large spoon make an indentation in each meringue mount to form a nest.
- Gently press jelly beans into sides of meringues.
- Bake for 2 ½ hours at 170 degrees F, or until hard.
- Fill with jelly beans and assorted Easter candies.
- Or for an elegant dessert, fill meringue nests with small scoops of pastel sherbets, serve immediately.