1/1 Photo of Jeweled Apple Tart
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
This is not really much of a make ahead. The crust can be made up to a max of 1 day ahead and it must then be kept at room temp. If it goes in the fridge it will be ruined. This tart is unusual and very appealing. It will make 8 generous servings and you can get 10 out if it easily.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 8 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed (17x12-inch rectangles)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple juice concentrate
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 lbs tart apples, cored, peeled, and sliced (8 cups)
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans (optional) or 3 tablespoons walnuts (optional)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half or 3 tablespoons light cream
- ice cream or whipped cream (optional) or sifted powdered sugar (optional)
- 1For crust, 1/4 cup of the butter.
- 2Lay one sheet of phyllo dough on an 11- to 13-inch pizza pan, brush with melted butter. Lay a second sheet on top, perpendicular to first, and brush with butter.
- 3Repeat for a total of eight sheets, placing each sheet perpendicular to the previous one.
- 4Fold outside edges toward the center, forming a shell about 10-inches in diameter. Brush phyllo lightly with remaining melted butter.
- 5Bake in a 400°F oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until phyllo is golden.
- 6Poke a few holes in the crust with a fork if it puffs, gently flattening the center.
- 7Let cool completely.
- 8For Filling:.
- 9Melt remaining 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan. Stir in brown sugar, apple juice concentrate, cinnamon, apples, and cherries. Cook about 12 minutes or until apples are tender.
- 10Remove fruit with a slotted spoon, reserving juices.
- 11Add nuts to juices, if desired.
- 12Toss fruit with flour and spoon into prepared crust, set aside.
- 13Gently boil reserved juices in a small saucepan about 5 minutes or until reduced to about 1/4 cup.
- 14Add half-and-half or light cream, cook and stir over low heat until well combined.
- 15Pour over apple mixture in crust.
- 16Bake in a 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- 17Let stand 20 minutes.
- 18Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream, or sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jeweled Apple Tart
Serving Size: 1 (243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 322.1
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 32.5 mg
- Sodium 184.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 32.7 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: