Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
Another keeper from Suzy Fishbein's Kosher by Design series.
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 large onions, diced to 1/4 inch
- 1 green pepper, diced to 1/4 inch
- 1 yellow pepper, diced to 1/4 inch
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup craisins
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb orzo pasta
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons powder chicken soup powder
- In a large pot melt margarine. Add onions, pepper, mushrooms, and craisins. Saute until softened approximately 6-8 minutes. [Do not let brown or burn.] Season with salt and white pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium pot, heat oil. Add orszo and toast until golden, stirring often. (It will be different shades of brown and have a nutty aroma.) Add boiling water to cover by a few inches and soup powder. Cook until orzo is al dente approximately 8-9 minutes. [If the water boils out and orzo is still too hard, add more hot water 1/2 cup at a time stirring to make sure the orzo is not sticking until the orzo is done and the water evaporated.].
- Combine the veggies and the orzo.