French Tart's Note:
A delectable holiday fudge, which is the ultimate treat for anyone with a sweet tooth. This buttery, crumbly fudge is enhanced and made more festive by studding it with rich, jewel-like fruit. If you do not have stem ginger handy, you can use crystallised ginger or glace ginger instead. Making fudge the proper way involves using a sugar, jam or candy thermometer - or you can use the "soft ball" method if you do not have a suitable thermometer. Drop a small spoonful of the fudge into cold water, if it forms a malleable soft ball, the setting temperature has been reached. If you plan to make this fudge for gifts or to sell, pack the squares into attractive cellophane bags, glass jars or boxes and add a pretty ribbon as well as a label of ingredients. This recipe is part of my Old Fashioned Sweet Shop collection of recipes, sweets, candies, fudges, sugar plums and chocolates!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Line a 20cm-square baking tin with non-stick baking parchment.
- 2Combine the sugar, evaporated milk, cream, butter and salt in a heavy-based pan. Slowly bring to a rolling boil: the mixture should be bubbling briskly. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches the soft-ball stage (115°C on a sugar thermometer), which is when a little of the mixture, dropped into a jug of cold water, forms a ball that is soft when pinched.
- 3Remove the pan from the heat and beat the mixture vigorously with a whisk for 3-5 minutes - the fudge should lose its gloss and begin to look grainy.
- 4Stir in the ginger pieces, cranberries and vanilla extract, then pour the mixture into the lined tin. Leave to cool, then transfer to the fridge.
- 5Allow the fudge to chill for at least 2 hours before cutting it into small squares.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jewel Studded Holiday Fudge With Ginger and Cranberries
Serving Size: 1 (702 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 44.7
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 12.2 mg
- Sodium 59.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 0.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ginger in syrup