Recipe by FLKeysJen
This sweet and savory dish is from "The Food You Crave" book by Ellie Krieger. She's the host of the Food Network's "Healthy Appetite" show. You can add or subtract whatever veggies you like or have on hand...in the photos I posted, I added turnips and squash.
- 4 medium beets
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Brussels sprouts
- 8 large garlic cloves, left unpeeled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, plus more
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, plus more
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Put the beets into a small baking dish and rub them with one tablespoon of the oil. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and roast for 30 minutes.
- White the beets are roasting, peel and cut the carrots into 1-inch-thick rounds, and trim the Brussels sprouts and cut them in half lengthwise. Put the carrots, sprouts and garlic cloves in a large baking dish and toss with the remaining two tablespoons oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- After the beets have been cooking for 30 minutes, add the large pan of vegetables to the oven separately, and cook everything for one hour more, stirring the vegetable mixture once or twice.
- Remove the beets from the oven and transfer them to a cutting board to cool. Stir the thyme into the carrot and Brussels sprout mixture and let it continue to cook for another 10 minutes while the beets are cooled and cut.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, after about five minutes, peel, then cut them into 1-inch chunks. Remove the other vegetables from the oven, toss with the beets, season with salt and pepper, and serve.