Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
from darlene kosmman very old recipe has cherries and strawberries
- 453.59 g cherries
- 591.47 ml water
- 283.49 g frozen strawberries
- 44.37 ml fresh lemon juice
- 1064.65 ml sugar
- 85.04 g package Sure-Jell
- pit cherries
- cook til soft add strawberries and lemon juice and sugar
- mix well.
- bring to a full boil
- boil hard 1 minute stirring constantly
- remove from heat add sure jell stir
- skim foam
- this cools it slightly and keeps fruit from floating
- this is what recipe says ypu may need to cook morre
- ladle into glasses and pour melted paraffin over them makes about 7 glasses
- i would put in 1/2 pint jars and waterbath these according to ball instructions.
I fiddled with this recipe a little bit b/c I used fresh strawberries. I used 2 cups cherries and 1 1/2 cups strawberries. I used SureJell but in looking closer at the recipe it calls for a 3 oz package which is what Certo(liquid pectin) comes in. The technique is different for SureJell and Certo as well so be sure to use the right one. Since I used SureJell, I added the SureJel with the fruit and cooked it to a rolling boil and then added the sugar and boiled it for 1 minute. If you use Certo, you add the sugar with the fruit and boil it, then add the Certo and boil it again. I also Hot water bathed the jars as it is the safer preservation method. It is very tasty and beautifull colored jam. I had no trouble with the fruit floating to the top. It stayed distributed perfectly.