Recipe by rochsann
I copied this recipe from a magazine while getting my hair done some years ago, and I'm so glad I did -- they're one of my favorite cookies! My children help me make them on New Year's Day and we polish them off on the same day. (They only make 2 dozen so they're nice for ending a good meal.) Easy to make! I use raspberry jam; any kind would do fine.
Top Review by Chris Reynolds
I had this recipe years ago from my McCall's Cookbook. I used to make them for our Christmas Wassail. They are having a carolling party in our subdivision and I'm going to make these to share. Thanks!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter, brown sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla.
- Stir in flour.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven 375 degrees.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and dip in egg white.
- Roll in nuts.
- (Cookie dough ball, not you!).
- With floured thimble or thumb, press center of each cookie.
- Bake 10- 12 minutes, or until delicate golden brown.
- Cool on rack.
- Place 1/2 teaspoon jelly in center.