Recipe by septane
Real Scottish scones flavoured with treacle. This recipe is from Jedburgh, in the Borders region of Scotland.
- 8 ounces flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄2 ounce butter
- 1 tablespoon melted treacle
- 1 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour with salt, ginger, sugar and soda into a bowl.
- Rub in butter with your fingertips.
- Stir in treacle.
- Make into a softish dough with buttermilk.
- Roll into a round on a floured board, then cut into rounds about 3 inches across.
- Cook on a heated girdle, brushed with melted fat until nicely browned below, then turn and cook on the other sides, or bake on a greased baking sheet at 450 for ten to twelve minutes.