Recipe by JessieGirl
A healthier version of a fabulous recipe I found on this site. Replaced a few items and added a few others. Don't want to call it "diet food", but most ingredients are what I use when dieting.
Top Review by QueenBee49444
Absolutely delicious. I made this for supper tonight. My finicky son had seconds and thirds. He will usually pass the veggies. The only change I made was I used lean ground chicken breast and a jar of chicken gravy. Can't wait for leftover lunch tomorrow
- 1 lb jennie o ground turkey breast
- 5 medium gold potatoes
- 4 tablespoons smart balance light butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk (your choice)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can peas
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn
- 1 (7 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (3/4 ounce) package beef gravy, prepared according to package directions
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Peel and chop potatoes into cubes for boiling.
- Boil until fork tender.
- Drain water and mash when ready, using 2 tablespoons butter and milk.
- Meanwhile, brown ground turkey breast.
- Add garlic powder and black pepper to taste.
- After turkey is browned, remove turkey and place in a bowl, saving the grease for veggies to be sauteed.
- If needed, add extra virgin olive oil.
- Then add carrots, celery, and onion and saute for 5 minutes.
- Then add peas, corn and mushrooms and saute for another 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add ground turkey breast back into veggie mix.
- Mix well.
- Add thyme, parsley, and nutmeg.
- Stir thoroughly.
- If not already, reduce heat to low.
- Prepare brown gravy at this time if not done already.
- Add brown gravy to mixture.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Layer the bottom of a 3 liter baking dish with turkey and veggie mix.
- Then add mashed potatoes, spreading across mix like a crust.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to top of potatoes.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove and let stand for 5 minutes.