Recipe by Caryn
These are a most unusual cookie in that the cookie dough is wrapped around frozen miniature marshmallows. I have made this for teachers, my husbands co-workers, funeral food, etc. and haven't had anyone not love them. The recipe comes from Mrs. Fields Cookie Book (1992).
Top Review by Caryn
NOTE: The marshmallows will melt inside the cookie! If you remove them early from the oven the marshmallows will remain white (though melted) while later, they will be clear and shiny. I tend to remove mine early (around 8 minutes) while the marshmallow is still white. Regardless, they will all have a soft center whether the marshmallow is white or clear. I've made these a dozen times and they have always been a huge hit.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 (12 ounce) cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 8 ounces miniature marshmallows, frozen
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Until you are ready to assemble the cookies just prior to baking, keep the marshmallows in the freezer- otherwise they will thaw too rapidly.
- Place the marshmallows back into the freezer between each batch of cookies.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, cocoa and baking soda.
- Set aside.
- Combine sugars in a large bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, blend in butter, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Add eggs and vanilla, and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour mixture and chocolate chips, and blend at a low speed until combined.
- Batter will be very stiff.
- Gather 4-5 frozen marshallows in the palm of your hand and cover them with a heaping tablespoon of dough.
- Wrap the dough around the marshmallows, completely encasing them and forming a 2-inch diameter ball.
- Place balls on ungreased baking sheets, 2 inches apart.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool on pan 2 minutes, then transfer to a cool flat surface.