Prep 2 mins
Cook 20 mins
Who doesn't love a bowl of hot chili on a cold fall day? My friend whipped this up in less than a half hour after a quick trip to the grocery story and I was AMAZED by how good it was. The most amazing part is that groceries themselves cost less than $10. Served best with a bit of shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream and some corn tortilla rounds.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1⁄2 large onion (coarsely chopped)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 (1 1/3 ounce) package chili seasoning mix (generic/store brand worked great for us)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (we used diced tomatoes with green chillies)
- chili powder, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, over medium-high heat, saute garlic and onion in oil until onions become slightly tender.
- Add ground turkey, stir occasionally until cooked throughout.
- Once cooked add remaining ingredients (be sure NOT to drain canned items), stirring after each item is added.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or so, until heated through and flavors are well blended.
I've been using this recipe for a few years now and it's always a hit. I don't love beans so usually I leave them out and it's still excellent! This is VERY good.
I found this recipe tonight while looking for something new to do with ground beef. I used lean ground beef instead of turkey. I didn't have chili seasoning so I used Kittencal's recipe. I doubled the garlic and used garlic and herb flavoured tomato sauce and added a can of corn since the black beans made it a bit more southwestern. I found it was a bit watery so I added 4 tbsp of cornstarch to 4 tbsp water and then stirred it in and it thickened up nicely. We topped it with cheddar cheese and it was a big hit! Next time I will also top with sour cream but we didn't have any in the house. This recipe is definitely getting bookmarked! :)
This is a wonderful chili! I used hot chili seasoning mix for extra kick. We loved the flavor and texture of the ground turkey and black beans. And it couldn't be easier to make! Thanks!