Prep 1 hr
Cook 8 hrs
For years, my grandmother has made her special lasagna for occasions. Since she doesn't get to do this as much anymore, I figured I should invent my own signature lasagna to fill in the void. I experimented with this recipe all fall; I think this is a treat to be reckoned with! The different steps all take time and planning, but can be done over the course of a few days. This is totally worth the wait.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons white flour
- 2 cups reduced-fat milk
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 9 ounces barilla flat lasagna noodles (no boil)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Begin red sauce the day before; saute onion, turkey, garlic, celery, lemon zest, and basil in oil until turkey is cooked through.
- Add can of crushed tomatoes, stir to combine.
- Stir in brown sugar, and salt.
- Cook in crockpot, on "low" for 5-6 hours.
- Use within the week.
- Make white sauce next, right before assembling lasagna; heat butter in pot on low until it begins to brown.
- Add four tablespoons of flour, one at a time, stirring to thouroughly combine with butter.
- Pour in milk, stirring constantly. Do NOT boil.
- Add remaining flour to thicken, keep stirring.
- Remove from heat when slightly thickened, stir in nutmeg and tarragon, add salt.
- Pre-heat oven to 325°F.
- Coat bottom of buttered lasagna pan with thin layer of red sauce.
- Lay down noodles, slightly overlapping.
- Add layer of white sauce.
- Add layer of red sauce.
- Add layer of parmesan.
- Repeat for each layer (I do about 4-5); the second layer gets a sprinkling of the majoram.
- Make sure the noodles are covered in sauce or they will be dry!
- The last layer gets sprinkled with red pepper flakes, and remaining majoram.
- Cover with foil, and bake for 45-60 minutes.
- Remove foil, and bake an additional 10-20 minutes, or until top bubbles and browns.
- Let stand for at least 30 minutes before serving.