Recipe by scancan
This is a very unique dish that can be found all over Jerusalem. It is a noodle casserole with carmelized sugar and lots of black pepper. Serve this warm as a different kind of side dish. I originally got this recipe from a community cookbook that was given to me along with all the other brides that got married that same year. Recipe is from Susie Gale with only a minor change.
Top Review by petlover
The best Yerushalmi kugel--I encourage people that heav never had this to try it! I made mine with fine egg noodles, otherwise i followed the recipe exactly-I covered this for the first 1/2 of the cooking time so that the top didnt get too brown-. Thanks Scanpan!
- 12 ounces short extra-fine noodles (can also break uncooked vermicelli)
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook and drain noodles except for about 3 tablespoons of water. Cover and set aside.
- Boil the white sugar and oil. When the oil begins to separate and turn a deep brown and mushroom up a bit add the noodles stirring constantly. Make sure all the noodles turn brown.
- Mix in eggs, cinnamon, brown sugar, salt and pepper again stirring constantly.
- Pour noodle mixture into baking pan and bake at 375 for about an hour or until the top is slightly crispy.
- Serve warm.