Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Recipe is from May S. Bsisu's cookbook, "The Arab Table". Serve with warm lentils with rice, grilled meats, or spoon onto falafel in place of the tomato and onion slices.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs firm tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 small pickling cucumbers, such as Kirby cucumbers or 1 English cucumber, finely chopped
- 5 scallions, white and light green parts only, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cups of finely chopped romaine lettuce hearts, packed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup sesame paste, plus more if needed (tahini)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Combine the tomatoes, cucumbers, scallions, bell peppers, and lettuce in a large mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, tahini, vinegar, salt, and pepper together until the dressing is creamy and pale. If the dressing is too thick, gradually and a little water, whisking, until it reaches the desired consistency. If it is too thin, gradually add more tahini.
- Just before serving, pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss thoroughly to coat. Serve immediately, to prevent the salad from becoming soggy.
Good and easy to make! Thanks! Reviewed for Healthy Choices ABC tag game.