1 hr 30 mins
carrie sheridan's Note:
Caramelized onions are great for so many things -- and healthy, too... cardamom is a delicious, subtle spice...a great substitute for cinnamon in apple pie, too...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons barberries or 2 1/2 tablespoons currants
- 4 tablespoons of spitiko olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 whole chicken, quartered
- 10 green cardamom pods
- 1/4 teaspoon whole cloves
- 4 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 1 2/3 cups basmati rice
- 2 1/4 cups boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dill, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaf, finely chopped
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
For the yogurt sauce
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons spitiko olive oil
- 11. If you are using currants, skip this step. Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan and heat over medium until the sugar has dissolved. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the barberries. Allow the barberries to soak while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- 22. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a sauté pan. Add the onion and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it is golden and caramelized. Transfer onion to a small bowl.
- 33. Combine the chicken with salt, pepper, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, cardamom pods, cloves and cinnamon. Mix everything together with your hands.
- 44. Heat a large dutch oven over medium-high. Add the chicken, along with the spices, to the pot and cook for 5 minutes on each side. You want it to get golden, and for the skin to crisp up a bit. Use a pair of tongs to remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
- 55. Add the rice, caramelized onion, salt, and pepper to the dutch oven. Stir until the rice is coated in the oil/leftover chicken fat. Drain the barberries and add them to the pot. If you are using currents, add them in at this stage. Stir and then re-add the chicken to the pot, tucking it into the rice.
- 66. Add the boiling water, cover, and dial down the heat to low. Continue cooking, over very low heat, for 30 minutes.
- 77. After 30 minutes, remove the pan from the heat, take off the lid and place a tea towel over the pot. Replace the lid and let sit for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, use a spoon to stir the olive oil into the yogurt and set aside.
- 88. Stir in the herbs and use a fork to fluff the rice. Season with more salt and pepper, if desired. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- 9Enjoy this dish hot or warm, with a few dollops of yogurt sauce.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jerusalem Chicken With Cardamon Rice from Turntable, New York Ti
Serving Size: 1 (643 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1245.4
- Calories from Fat 679
- Total Fat 75.5 g
- Saturated Fat 18.4 g
- Cholesterol 243.8 mg
- Sodium 241.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 64.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green cardamom pods