Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Verbatim from the http://www.breadmantalking.blogspot.com/ delicious
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 3 tablespoons oil (olive oil is good but optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1.)Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl of an electric mixer with a dough hook until it comes together into a 'shaggy' dough. Then mix at medium speed for about 7 minutes until the dough is smooth and a little shiny.
- 2.) Place it in a lightly-oiled bowl, turn to coat, then cover and let it rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3.) Divide the dough into 6 or 8 pieces (depending on the size of the bagels). Then flatten each piece. Punch a hole in the middle using you thumb, then stretch the dough (careful not to tear it) into an elongated oval bagel shape.
- 4.)Place each bagel on a parchment lined baking tray. Cover and let rise a second time, this time for about 20 minutes.
- 5.)Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C). Before baking, brush each bagel with egg diluted in water then sprinkle heavily with sesame seeds mixed with sugar and salt (2 Tbs sugar + 1 Tbs salt + 3 Tbs. sesame seeds).
- 6.)Bake for 15 minutes until they are a rich golden brown and crispy. Cool on a rack and serve with za'atar and olive oil. Yum!