1/1 Photo of Jerusalem Artichoke Gratin
Barb Gertz's Note:
Jerusalem artichokes also known as Sunchokes, are awkward-looking tubers even bumpier than fresh ginger. The flavor is much like a regular artichoke, though they are not related they are sweeter and a little starchier. They taste a little smokey and retain a crispness when cooked, if not overcooked. They cook very quickly, so be careful not to turn them to mush. The recipe calls for peeling them, though I just scrub them as the tender brown skin is edible. They make a good appetizer, are good raw in salads. NOTE; Since I posted and made this recipe "Uncle Bill" Bill Anatooskin has also made the recipe. He made it for a group of about 20 people,He said they DEVOURED every morsel and looked for more. Many had never eaten Jerusalem Artichokes. He e-mailed me the changes that he made, I made some changes to when making the recipe. So I combined the changes. We hope that you enjoy the artichokes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb jerusalem artichoke (Sunchokes)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, fresh ground
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese (or more) or 1/2 cup padano cheese (or more)
- 1Scrub the sunchokes and slice into 1/4 thick slices.
- 2In a 13-inch-x-9-inch a baking dish, add melted butter.
- 3Arrange the sliced chokes in casserole so that they overlap slightly.
- 4Sprinkle with salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
- 5If Using: Mix together onions & green onions; sprinkle over chokes.
- 6Sprinkle with Parmeasn chesse.
- 7Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 18 to 20 minutes or until light golden crust begins to form on top.
- 8Remove from from oven, cover with release foil and let set for about 5 minutes before serving.
- 9The Jerusalem Artichokes should be slightly crunchy.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jerusalem Artichoke Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (154 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 228.1
- Calories from Fat 128
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 37.7 mg
- Sodium 275.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 6.2 g