Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Jersey Royal new potatoes are prized for their flavour. Try this one pan supper dish, which is delicious served with warm bread and a salad.
- 250 g dry cure smoked back bacon, roughly chopped
- 250 ml low-fat creme fraiche
- 150 ml vegetable stock
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 750 g jersey royal new potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- 100 g watercress, roughly chopped
- 50 g gruyere cheese, grated
- Place the bacon in a large non-stick frying pan and cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally until browned.
- Add the creme fraiche to the pan, then stir in the stock and add the garlic. Bring to the boil. Add the potatoes, bring to a simmer , then cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, until the potatoes are tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife. Remove the lid and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to reduce the liquid slightly. Season with fresh ground black pepper.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the watercress. Pour into a warmed 1.5 litre oven dish and top with the cheese. Place under a pre-heated hot grill and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown.