Recipe by Schnecke
My mouth remembers after-school trips to the Greek diner down the street for Gyros. It's one of the fondest memories I have of my old hometown in Northern NJ. I've been looking for a good tzatziki recipe for a long, long time. Here's what I've come up with, adjusted from other's. Cooking time does not include chilling or draining time.
- 1 1⁄4 cups plain fat-free yogurt
- 1⁄2 cucumber, seeded but not peeled
- 2 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried mint
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a small colander with a damp paper towel. and place in a small bowl. Place the yogurt over this and allow to drain in the fridge for 1-2 hours, until it has become thick like sour cream.
- Grate the cucumber and place in a second colander. Salt lightly and press with hands or the bottom of a bowl to remove excess water.
- Mix all ingredients. Cover and place in fridge for about 30 minutes (garlic flavor will intensify with time).
- Serve with fresh veggies, falafel, or gyros. Yum!