Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a recipe I found in the June 2005 Super Food Ideas magazine. Every time I make it I barely manage to get one piece as it is a real hit. I have melted the butter in the microwave & also I prefer to sprinkle the caramels through the middle so initially spread 1/2 the mixture, sprinkle the caramels & then the rest of the mix on top. Firm favourite.
- 100 g butter, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup plain flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted roasted peanuts, chopped
- 100 g jersey caramels, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 180o Celsius Grease and line a 4.5 cm deep 18 cm (base) square cake pan.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Transfer to a bowl, add sugar, eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and peanuts. Spread mixture into pan. Sprinkle with caramels.
- Bake for 22 - 25 minutes or until firm and crisp on top (be careful as it can burn easily). Allow to cool in the pan. Cut into squares.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve.