Recipe by Chef Doozer
My father-in-law is famous for this salad. We all love it with pizza or pasta dishes.
Top Review by surus
This was a great salad. I made a couple substitutions based on personal preference and what I had on hand. I left out the pimento and put in diced marinated red pepper, a handful of sliced mushrooms and two Roma tomatoes cut into eighths. I also added a squeeze of anchovy paste to the dressing. I was a bit confused by the directions as it sounded as though I should add the dressing and then refrigerate for two hours. That's what I did and it was delicious. Loved the bread crumbs, which I had never done before. We had neighbors over for lasagna and both husbands had seconds of salad. I was about to toss out the leftover salad but my husband stopped me and asked to keep it for the next day. That was a first too! I will definitely make this again.
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) jar artichoke hearts, quartered (not marinated)
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimientos
- 1⁄4 large red onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Tear romaine lettuce into bite sized pieces and put in large bowl.
- Set aside.
- Combine olive oil, vinegar, dijon mustard, and garlic.
- Drizzle over salad and toss.
- Add thin sliced onion, pimento, and quartered artichoke hearts.
- Sprinkle parmesan and bread crumbs over salad evenly and toss all ingredients until evenly mixed.
- Refrigerate up to 2 hours before using.