Recipe by StevenHB
Between Light and Ben's in chocolate intensity, the combination of cocoa and chocolate creates a more complex mouth feel.
Top Review by Jostlori
OMG...!!! This ice cream is fantastic and so easy to make! Like other reviewers, I heated the milk and added the cocoa to it before stirring it into the melted chocolate. I also tempered the eggs by heating the finished mixture to 160 degrees. We live in Costa Rica, so it's just an added safety measure. Oh, and the bar chocolate was 75 grams (56 grams = 2 oz), but I threw it all in anyways. Maybe that's why this is extra good! Thank you, Steven!
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot but not boiling water.
- Gradually whisk in the cocoa and heat, stirring constantly, until smooth.
- The chocolate may seize or clump- the milk will fix this when it's added.
- Whisk in the milk, a little at a time and heat until completely blended.
- Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light a fluffy, 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more.
- Add the cream and vanilla, whisk to blend.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the cream mixture and blend.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 1 to 3 hours, depending upon your refrigerator.
- Transfer the mixture to you ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions.