Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 1⁄3 lbs ground turkey breast
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 serrano peppers or 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 inch gingerroot, grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, a few sprigs, leaves stripped and chopped
- 1 teaspoon allspice, eyeball the amount
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- coarse salt
- extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil, for drizzling
- 1 ripe lime, juice of
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 kaiser rolls, split
- 1 large ripe papaya, seeded, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1⁄4 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 navel orange, juice of
- coarse salt
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet, indoor grill pan or tabletop grill to medium high heat. Combine the turkey, garlic, scallions, ginger, thyme, allspice, nutmeg, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Form mixture into 4 large patties no more than 1-inch thick. Drizzle the patties with a touch of oil.
- Place patties in a hot pan or on a hot grill and cook 6 minutes on each side.
- Squeeze the juice of 1 ripe lime over the patties before removing them from the heat. Place the cooked patties on bun bottoms and top with lettuce leaves.
- Combine the papaya, red bell pepper, red onion, serrano or jalapeno, cilantro and orange juice in a bowl. Season salsa with salt, to your taste.
- Pile salsa on top of the lettuce resting on cooked patties and add bun tops to the burgers. Serve with Chili Lime Avocados and pineapple wedges.