Recipe by Outta Here
Similar to a vegie curry. Serve with rice. May be made up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated. Gently reheat before serving. Jerk Seasoning can be found in larger supermarket spice sections, or make your own. There are some recipes here on Food.com.
Top Review by sheepdoc
This was HOT. Maybe using 2 oz of ginger in a jar was not the same as the ginger in the recipe. The dietary wimpy people in my house couldn't handle it. I also used canned sweet potatoes and less broth because they were already cooked. Made for ZWT9.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, peeled (1 diced, 1 roughly chopped)
- 2 ounces fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves and stalks separated (coriander)
- 3 tablespoons caribbean jerk seasoning
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, cut into thick slices
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or flame-proof casserole. Add diced onion and cook until softened.
- Meanwhile, place the roughly chopped onion, ginger, cilantro stalks and jerk seasoning in a food proccesor and process until finely chopped. Add this mixture to the softened onion and fry until fragrant.
- Stir in the thyme, tomatoes, vinegar, sugar and broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, then drop in the sweet potatoes and simmer for 10 minutes more.
- Stir in the beans, peppers, salt and pepper, and simmer for another 5 minutes, until the potatoes are almost tender.
- Roughly chop the coriander leaves and stir them into the pot.