Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Similar to a vegie curry. Serve with rice. May be made up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated. Gently reheat before serving. Jerk Seasoning can be found in larger supermarket spice sections, or make your own. There are some recipes here on Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, peeled (1 diced, 1 roughly chopped)
- 2 ounces fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves and stalks separated (coriander)
- 3 tablespoons caribbean jerk seasoning
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, cut into thick slices
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or flame-proof casserole. Add diced onion and cook until softened.
- Meanwhile, place the roughly chopped onion, ginger, cilantro stalks and jerk seasoning in a food proccesor and process until finely chopped. Add this mixture to the softened onion and fry until fragrant.
- Stir in the thyme, tomatoes, vinegar, sugar and broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, then drop in the sweet potatoes and simmer for 10 minutes more.
- Stir in the beans, peppers, salt and pepper, and simmer for another 5 minutes, until the potatoes are almost tender.
- Roughly chop the coriander leaves and stir them into the pot.
This was HOT. Maybe using 2 oz of ginger in a jar was not the same as the ginger in the recipe. The dietary wimpy people in my house couldn't handle it. I also used canned sweet potatoes and less broth because they were already cooked. Made for ZWT9.
Wow, this was really terrific! I was looking for something to make the veggie crowd on a night when jerk chicken was on the menu, and this was great. Veg folks enjoyed it as a main and meat eaters loved it as a side. So flavorful, and really not too difficult to put together. I will admit to a shortcut; I just diced all of the onion and put all of the seasonings in together, skipping the food processor bit. I also added some fresh red pepper with the onions, and I highly recommend the addition! I did cook the potatoes a bit longer than instructed, just because we like them fairly tender. Even my 11 month old devoured this. Made for ZWT9, Gourmet Goddesses.