1/1 Photo of Jerk Sweet Potato and Black Beans
1 hr 30 mins
Similar to a vegie curry. Serve with rice. May be made up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated. Gently reheat before serving. Jerk Seasoning can be found in larger supermarket spice sections, or make your own. There are some recipes here on Food.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, peeled (1 diced, 1 roughly chopped)
- 2 ounces fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves and stalks separated (coriander)
- 3 tablespoons caribbean jerk seasoning
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, cut into thick slices
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Heat oil in a dutch oven or flame-proof casserole. Add diced onion and cook until softened.
- 2Meanwhile, place the roughly chopped onion, ginger, cilantro stalks and jerk seasoning in a food proccesor and process until finely chopped. Add this mixture to the softened onion and fry until fragrant.
- 3Stir in the thyme, tomatoes, vinegar, sugar and broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, then drop in the sweet potatoes and simmer for 10 minutes more.
- 4Stir in the beans, peppers, salt and pepper, and simmer for another 5 minutes, until the potatoes are almost tender.
- 5Roughly chop the coriander leaves and stir them into the pot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jerk Sweet Potato and Black Beans
Serving Size: 1 (346 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 377.4
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1065.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.7 g
- Sugars 16.5 g
- Protein 13.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
caribbean jerk seasoning