Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Inspired by two of my favorite RZ chefs, looneytoonsfan and Kittencalskitchen. As usual, I found more than one recipe I wanted to try and ended up combining them and adding a few ideas of my own. This is the result: my first scratched together BBQ sauce and my first RecipeZaar recipe.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (finely chopped)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 -3 tablespoons grape jam
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 2 tablespoons mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (rubbed between fingers to release the flavors)
- 1 teaspoon wasabi powder
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 lime, juice of, ripe
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (combined with 2 tablespoons cold water)
- 2 tablespoons cold water (mix with cornstarch if you like your sauce extra thick and sticky)
- Melt butter in medium saucepan.
- Add onion, garlic and fresh ginger. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Combine remaining ingredients (except for cornstarch mixture) in medium bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add liquid mixture to saucepan and simmer 20 minutes, adding cornstarch mixture during the last 5 minutes.
- Baste your ribs with sauce during the final 30 minutes in the oven.
- Serve remaining sauce with your meal.