Recipe by Pinay0618
Serve the loaf hot, at room temperature, or chilled: After inverting, lay a few bay leaves on top and sprinkle with peppercorns; surround with marinated mild red peppers. Serve slices of the loaf with a sweet-hot mustard and crusty bread. You can make the loaf up to 3 days ahead; after unmolding, cover and chill. Sunset Magazine, May 2002.
- 8 ounces mushrooms, rinsed, drained, and finely chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tsps salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 tablespoons cider or 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey (breast or a combination of breast and dark meat)
- 1⁄2 cup fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup drained pickled cocktail onion, each cut in half
- 6 ounces paper-thin slices prosciutto
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat, stir mushrooms and onion in 2 tablespoons oil until they begin to brown, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add salt, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, and cayenne; stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add vinegar and molasses; stir often until liquid is evaporated. Scrape into a large bowl. Add flour and mix to blend, then stir often until lukewarm, about 5 minutes.
- Add turkey, broth, and egg to bowl; mix well. Gently stir in pickled onions.
- Oil a 5- by 9-inch nonstick loaf pan (2 qt). Line pan neatly with a single layer of prosciutto slices, overlapping edges slightly; press ends of prosciutto against pan sides up to, but not over, rim. Scrape meat mixture into pan and gently pat or spread level. Fold ends of prosciutto slices neatly over meat.
- Bake turkey loaf in a 350°F regular or convection oven until a thermometer inserted in center of thickest part reaches 160° and meat is no longer pink (cut to test), about 55 minutes; loaf will begin to shrink from pan sides.
- Let stand at room temperature for at least 10 minutes. Invert a slightly larger, rimmed platter over pan; hold pan and platter together and invert. Lift pan off to release loaf.