Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Jerk Sloppy Joes recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced medium
- 1 lb seitan, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 dashes fresh black pepper
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- Preheat a large, heavy bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Saute onion in one tablespoon coconut oil and a pinch of salt, until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the seitan and cook for about 10 minutes, until nicely browned, stirring often. Push the seitan and onions to one side of the pan so that you have space to quickly saute the garlic and ginger. Put the remaining teaspoon of coconut oil in the pan and toss in the garlic and ginger, stirring as it sizzles, for about 15 seconds. Then mix it up with the seitan and onions.
- Add thyme, paprika, salt, allspice, red pepper flakes, cinnamon and black pepper and toss to coat everything and cook the spices a bit.
- Add the tomatoes, and cook for about 10 more minutes, tossing often. Lastly, mix in the maple syrup, lime juice and mustard. Let cook for a minute or so, then taste for salt and seasonings, and serve.
- Serve on your choice of buns or bread, and her coconut cream spinach sounds like a perfect topping.