Recipe by parthree
This is a recipe I made up for a quick weeknight meal. Over time, it evolved into something I'm proud enough to share with you all. Please do not use a non-stick pan. You could try substituting the shrimp for chicken or fish and the pineapple or mango salsa for your favorite variety. Like most Caribbean recipes I like the combination of hot, sweet, savory, and sour in one dish. Enjoy!
- 1 lb shrimp, medium, raw, peeled
- 2 limes, juice of
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons jerk seasoning (more or less, depending on taste)
- 2 tablespoons regular olive oil (not extra virgin)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 glass beer or 1 glass wine or 1 glass water, on hand for deglazing the pan if needed
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 cup mango salsa or 1⁄4 cup pineapple salsa
- 3 sprigs cilantro
- 6 large tortillas (burrito size)
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Combine the shrimp, lime juice, garlic, Jerk Seasoning, and 1 T of the olive oil in a small bowl or ziploc bag to marinate.
- 2. Meanwhile, heat the other 1 T olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- 3. Slice the green and red bell peppers and add them to the hot pan.
- 4. Slice the onion and add it to the pan. Stir occasionally.
- 5. As the vegetables are cooking, prepare the condiments as follows:.
- 6. Mix the sour cream, cayenne pepper, and milk together in a small bowl.
- 7. Chop the cilantro.
- 8. Open the jar of salsa and put a spoon in it. :-).
- 9. When the vegetables are nicely browned and a nice fond has developed on the pan, add the shrimp mixture and scrape the pan to deglaze, stirring frequently. Use your beer, wine, or water to add moisture to the pan only if needed. (Otherwise it will get too runny, ick).
- 10. While shrimp is cooking, cover the tortillas with damp paper towels on a plate and microwave for 1 minute.
- 11. When the shrimp are opaque and the liquid is mostly absorbed, remove from heat.
- 12. Scoop fajita filling onto warm tortillas and top with sour cream mixture, salsa, and cilantro. Wrap, burrito style and serve.