Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is from Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Muskowitz. This recipe is really tasty and quite easy to make. She suggests you serve it with rice, sauteed greens and sweet potatoes or roasted autumn vegetables. This sauce is strong and highly spiced and is wonderful. The cook time below does not include the one hour for the marinade.
For the marinade
- 1⁄2 large white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the seitan
- 2 cups seitan, cut into thick strips
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, thickly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and thickly chopped
- Prepare the marinade by pureeing all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. Some chunks are ok.
- Place the seitan in a shallow bowl and pour the marinade on top. Cover and let sit an hour.
- In a skillet, sautee the onions, and pepper in the olive oil over medium heat.
- Remove the seitan from the sauce and add to the skillet and brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the remainder of the sauce and cook about 2 minutes, until hot and all is coated.
This cookbook is a staple in our house so I've tried this recipe- it's pretty great. Not my favorite seitan recipe but definitely does the trick when you're craving something spicy!