Recipe by whatscooking
I wanted jerk chicken and I can't make rice. I also thought about this recipe all day and had to try it. Ok, I used jarred jerk sauce which was fine in a pinch but I'd normally make it (I bought the chicken on my lunch hour and then marinated it in the work fridge). The pasta and peas was sort of a play on the traditional rice and peas. It's a cream sauce made with a little jerk sauce for the heat and some coconut milk to accompany the cream. This turned out great and you could even do the pasta on it's own. This is also my method for making a cream sauce. I'm not sure if someone taught me this or I just cheated my way into making a cream sauce.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3⁄4 cup jerk sauce
- 6 -7 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup table cream
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 -6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 -2 tablespoon jerk sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas
- pasta, of your choice
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Marinate your chicken with the jerk sauce and thyme sprigs. The longer the better but atleast 2 hours (overnight is really best).
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, discard the marinade, and grill the chicken as you normally would.
- While the chicken is cooking, cook your pasta.
- Heat a large sauce pan and add the oil. As the oil is heating, add the garlic.
- Once the garlic is slightly cooked, add the 1-2 tbsp jerk sauce and stir. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and cream to sauce pan. Mix well and bring to a slight boil.
- Add the cheese and simmer for about 5-7 minutes, until the sauce has reduced and thicken.
- Add the pasta and frozen peas to the sauce pan and toss to coat.
- Slice your chicken breast and plate it on top of your pasta. Garnish with a thyme sprig if desired. Enjoy.