Gary Rhodes marvelous take on jerk chicken, refreshing and yummy. Half of the length of the recipe is detailed instructions on how to use the rice paper rolls so don't get scared :D the one hour marinating time isn't included, but apart from that its quick and easy
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the spicy mango sauce
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 scotch bonnet peppers, seeds removed, finely diced or 1/2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
For the sweet and sour pickled onions
For the chicken
- 4 (125 g) small chicken breasts, batted out to 5mm thick escallops
- 1 tablespoon jamaican jerk spice, paste
- generous pinch ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 8 -10 rice paper, roll wrappers
- 1 handful mixed baby greens
- 8 -12 small mint leaves (optional)
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 2 spring onions, green part only, shredded
- 1/2 cucumber, shredded
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seed
- 1For the onions: put the onion in a saucepan and add the sugar and vinegar. Simmer until the onions have softened and the syrup has cooked down until thickened and sticky. Season and set aside.
- 2For the mango sauce: heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the diced mango with a pinch of salt for 8-10 minutes, until very soft. Tip the fruit into a liquidiser and blend until smooth. Push through a sieve and stir in the chopped chilli. Leave on one side.
- 3For the chicken: split the chicken breasts in half horizontally, and using a mallet or the base of a heavy pan, bat out each breast between 2 sheets of plastic until flattened – about 0.5cm thickness.
- 4Coat the chicken with the jerk sauce and pepper. Leave to marinate in a covered bowl, inside the fridge for an hour or two – overnight if you have the time.
- 5Preheat a heavy skillet, and cook the chicken on a high heat for about 3 minutes on each side until tender. After cooling the chicken for a minute, cut the meat into thin shreds.
- 6Fill a large bowl with about 0.5-litre lukewarm water; stir in the vinegar and add salt and the sugar.
- 7Briefly dip each rice paper wrapper into the warm water. As soon as it softens, lay it out on a damp tea towel, dabbing away any excess water with a paper towel.
- 8In the centre of each wrapper put a few salad leaves and 2-3 mint leaves. Pile on a generous teaspoon each of shredded carrots, spring onions and cucumber. Top with a heap of shredded chicken. Finish with a sprinkling of pickled red onions and a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
- 9Fold over the ends of each wrapper and roll around the filling in a cigar shape. Halve each roll for easy handling, and serve with the mango dipping sauce.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jerk Chicken Rice Paper Rolls With Mango Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (385 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 415.7
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 80.0 mg
- Sodium 105.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 25.8 g
- Protein 27.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar
jamaican jerk spice
white wine vinegar
mixed baby greens