Saw this on an S.B.S. programme, and looked up the recipe to post. I have never made it, but found it interesting. The kidney beans and chicken need overnight prep, so those time come under the prep time. Also I have listed some notes from the recipe at the bottom of the direction's which relates to some of the ingredient's. Posting for ZWT9.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 spring onions, chopped, plus extra, to serve
- 1 tablespoon flaked sea salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 80 ml lime juice
- 60 ml cane vinegar or 60 ml rice vinegar, see note
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers or 3 habanero chilies, seeded, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 7/8 kg whole chickens, cleaned, jointed
- lime wedge, to serve
Rice and bean Ingredients
- 1To make jerk marinade, process sea salt flakes, black pepper, onions, thyme, oil, spices, ginger, sugar, lime juice, vinegar, chillies and garlic to a paste. Using latex gloves, rub the marinade over the chicken. Place in a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2To make rice and beans, place beans in a large saucepan. Cover with 1.5L water, add black pepper, thyme and garlic, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 55 minutes or until beans are just tender.
- 3Add rice, coconut milk, chilli, spring onions and 2 tsp salt, and stir to combine. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid has absorbed. Remove and discard thyme, garlic, chilli and spring onions.
- 4Preheat a barbecue (ideally, a wood fired one for smoky flavour) to high, then adjust to medium and grease the grill. Remove chicken from marinade, season with salt, then cook, turning, for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- 5Place chicken on a platter with lime wedges, scatter over extra spring onions and serve with rice and beans, and bread, if desired.
- 7Cane vinegar is made from sugarcane juice and is available from Asian food shops. It may be labelled sukang maasim.
- 8Scotch bonnet and habanero chillies are very hot; wear latex gloves when handling. Both are available from selected greengrocers.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jerk Chicken Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (557 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1594.5
- Calories from Fat 910
- Total Fat 101.1 g
- Saturated Fat 40.8 g
- Cholesterol 328.5 mg
- Sodium 1502.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 88.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
flaked sea salt