Recipe by rainna
In Jamaica, you will find little stalls by the side of the road with a barbecue drum filled with their specialty Jerk Chicken or Jerk Pork.
- 1 whole free-range chicken, cut into 10 pieces (about 5 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 onion
- 8 garlic cloves
- fresh ginger, sliced
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 3 limes, juiced
- splash low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, halved, plus more to taste
- 1⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a blender and process until you have a smooth puree.
- Add chicken pieces into a large bowl and pour in the marinade. Marinate for 4 - 8 hours in the refrigerator.
- I don't have a smoker or barbecue pit, so I used to oven to roast the chicken. It still works out ok.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Transfer the chicken pieces to a baking sheet and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil. Bake in the oven "low and slow" until chicken is tender, about 1 hour. Remove the chicken from the baking sheet to a serving platter and garnish with limes and parsley before serving.