Recipe by Kate in Katoomba
This dish is sold by the side of the road in Jamaica and tastes best if cooked on the barbie. perfect summer food and anyway, I just like saying the name. Cooking time does not include overnight marination in the fridge. From a recipe by Matthew Evans.
- 100 g Spanish onions, peeled and roughly chopped.
- 3 cloves peeled garlic
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice (pimento berries)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black peppercorns
- 1 small red chile, ground
- 6 (150 g) pork necks or 6 (150 g) spareribs
Directions See How It's Made
- Blitz the onion, garlic, thyme and salt in a food processor, with a little oil if necessary, to make a paste.
- Add the spices.
- Smear on pork or spare ribs and marinate overnight.
- Brush the pork with a little more oil and grill over hot coals in a covered barbeque for five to ten minutes until just cooked through.
- Alternatively roast in a hot oven (220C) for about 10-15 minutes.
- The outside should be dark and mysterious and the inside moist.