Recipe by Michelle from Central Time
Approximate recipe for the large & yummy macaroni salad he threw together tonight.
- 2 lbs pasta, e.g. shells or 2 lbs elbow macaroni or 2 lbs rotini pasta
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup about 1 whole fruit mango, peeled and diced
- 1 cup sugar snap pea, cut into 1 cm sections
- 1 cup about 3 romas tomatoes, fresh diced
- 1 cup about 2 ears corn niblets, uncooked
- 1 cup about 1 whole medium fruit cucumber, diced
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1⁄2 cup peas, rinsed uncooked
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (helps to emulsify dressing) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 cup olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to box directions.
- Add chickpeas 1 minute before end of cooking (or anything else you want to get heated or softened).
- Drain and rinse.
- Dice remaining fruits and vegetables to similar sizes.
- Toss with salt and pepper.
- Mix fruits and vegetables into cooled cooked pasta.
- Whisk together orange juice, mayonnaise, mustard, and seasonings.
- Continue whisking as you drizzle in the olive oil until it reaches salad dressing consistency (vinaigrette technique).
- Pour dressing over pasta-vegetable combination and stir to combine.
- Feel free to substitute local fruits and vegetables and your favorite seasonings based on availability/taste.