Emila Brittain made this for our team party for the East Toronto Dodgers all-star baseball team many years ago; I asked for the recipe and she faxed it to me on May 31, 1996. For a long time, I lost the fax -- but I finally found it! I thought it best to get this here at Zaar for two reasons: the fax has already started to fade badly, and I don't want to lose this delicious recipe again. Emila served it as a salad, but it could also be a dessert. Please note that the time to prepare doesn't include the chilling time.
- Dissolve the contents of the large package of Strawberry Jell-o (you could use 2 packages of the normal size of jell-o if your store doesn't carry the big package) in two cups of boiling water. Add 1/2 cup sugar and 1 1/2 cups cold water and mix well.
- Remove 2 1/2 cups of mixture and chill (keep the rest at room temp as you don't want it to chill and start to set).
- When chilled mixture has partially set, add a pint of fresh strawberries, halved and sliced. Pour into a 6-cup mold (Emila used the classic tupperware ring mold).
- Chill until set but not firm.
- Beat 8 oz softened cream cheese, gradually adding reserved jello mixture plus 1 tsp vanilla. Spoon over strawberries in mold.
- Chill at least 3 hours before serving.
- Unmold to serve and place on a round serving platter.
We have enjoyed this very much, Lennie! I cut the calories and fat some by using a 6 oz. box of the sugar-free Jell-o, Splenda instead of sugar, and 8 oz. of fat-free cream cheese. It made an guilt-free treat which DH particulary liked, since he had two helping of this!;)I also made it in a 9 inch square pyrex pan, since I didn't think my ring mold was large enough.Thanks for posting this recipe!