Recipe by carolinajen4
This is the recipe most near and dear to my heart simply because it was the first one that I ever tweaked with to make my own. My love of cooking took off after receiving so many wonderful reviews and requests for this recipe. That was when my husband and I were 20 year old vegetarians with our first child. Thirteen years and three more children later, (no longer vegetarians, although I cook meatless more than I don't) this recipe is still alive and kicking and asked for just as much as ever. Play with the veggies and add any meat you like. I think the veggies sauteed in butter is the kicker. I have used homemade pasta sauce and Prego when in a hurry.
Top Review by Laura36
DELICIOUS!!! The only time consuming part of the recipe was chopping the veggies - and this was not that difficult. We despise mushrooms - so I substituted a red pepper instead and added along with the broccoli which tasted great. I also used the Barilla lasagna noodles which require no pre-cooking. This did increase the cooking time to 50 minutes but was worth saving the extra step of cooking the noodles separately.
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles (9 noodles)
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, chopped (1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chopped broccoli (I chop very small for the kids and I don't use full amount)
- 1⁄4 cup water (if needed)
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed with fingers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed with fingers
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (30 1/2 ounce) jar meatless spaghetti sauce (I usually use more since we like it a little more saucey, or homemade sauce of your choice)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain.
- In large skillet cook onion, carrots, mushrooms and garlic in hot butter till tender; add broccoli and water, if needed. Simmer about 5 minutes till broccoli is crisp-tender.
- In a medium bowl stir together ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup parm, eggs, parsley, thyme, marjoram, and pepper.
- In a 3 quart baking dish, evenly spread 1/2 cup of the spaghetti sauce. Place 3 noodles over the sauce. Layer with 1/2 of the cheese mixture, half of the veggie mixture, and 1 cup of the spaghetti sauce. Repeat layers, ending with noodles. Spoon the rest of the sauce over the top. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of parm. cheese.
- Cover and bake in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes. Uncover and back about another 10 minutes or until heated through.