Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I have gone through pretty much all the bran muffin recipes on the zaar (and there are a lot!) and I could not find one like mine. We really enjoyed these, and I think if I don't write it down I'll forget all the substitutions I made! This makes 2 dozen regular or a lot of mini! (I made 1 dozen regular and 2 dozen mini.)
- 709.77 ml wheat bran
- 236.59 ml boiling water
- 118.29 ml brown sugar
- 118.29 ml Splenda sugar substitute
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 59.14 ml unsweetened applesauce
- 591.47 ml whole wheat pastry flour
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2 eggs
- 473.18 ml skim milk
- 14.79 ml white vinegar
- Put 1 cup of the wheat bran in a bowl with the 1 cup of boiling water.
- Stir and let it sit until the water is absorbed.
- In a large bowl put the flour, the baking soda, and salt.
- Combine the sugar, splenda, oil, and applesauce.
- Add the sugar mixture to the flour along with the wet bran and the remaining 2 cups of bran and the 2 eggs (that you have beaten).
- Combine the milk and the vinegar (let sit for about a minute) and then add this to the flour mixture.
- Mix until totally combined.
- Put into muffin pans you have sprayed with cooking spray.
- Cook for about 15 minutes or until done.
Super Great! I modified a bit (I just have to with everything). I omitted the oil and Splenda and added a total of 1 cup unsweetend applesauce. I added 1 tsp of cinn and 1 tsp of vanilla and one cup of craisins. I actually added everything at once in a big bowl, after waiting for the bran to absorb the water, and mixed until well combined. I baked them for 15 mins for the big, as you stated, and 10 for the minis. Everything else I followed the recipe. Thank you for a great recipe!
These muffins are very good! I did make some modifications. I used all applesauce and no oil. I also substituted 1/2 cup molasses for the splenda and almond milk instead of skim milk. These would be perfect with some fresh blueberries! Also, I like BIG muffins so this recipe made 18 for me. I will definitely make these again.
I love muffins and usually have several to choose from in the freezer. This will make a nice addition to my stash. After reading Roosie's review, I opted to add some orange zest along with dried cranberries and some finely chopped pecans. In addition, I used all applesauce instead of adding oil and some of my homemade yogurt thinned with a touch of water instead of the soured milk. I baked these at 375 degrees as well. The end result was nice dense, muffins with a hint of orange. Something I will be making again as I love bran muffins. Thanks!