Recipe by ladypit
I have gone through pretty much all the bran muffin recipes on the zaar (and there are a lot!) and I could not find one like mine. We really enjoyed these, and I think if I don't write it down I'll forget all the substitutions I made! This makes 2 dozen regular or a lot of mini! (I made 1 dozen regular and 2 dozen mini.)
Top Review by pathobe3
Super Great! I modified a bit (I just have to with everything). I omitted the oil and Splenda and added a total of 1 cup unsweetend applesauce. I added 1 tsp of cinn and 1 tsp of vanilla and one cup of craisins. I actually added everything at once in a big bowl, after waiting for the bran to absorb the water, and mixed until well combined. I baked them for 15 mins for the big, as you stated, and 10 for the minis. Everything else I followed the recipe. Thank you for a great recipe!
- 3 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Put 1 cup of the wheat bran in a bowl with the 1 cup of boiling water.
- Stir and let it sit until the water is absorbed.
- In a large bowl put the flour, the baking soda, and salt.
- Combine the sugar, splenda, oil, and applesauce.
- Add the sugar mixture to the flour along with the wet bran and the remaining 2 cups of bran and the 2 eggs (that you have beaten).
- Combine the milk and the vinegar (let sit for about a minute) and then add this to the flour mixture.
- Mix until totally combined.
- Put into muffin pans you have sprayed with cooking spray.
- Cook for about 15 minutes or until done.