Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I made this for the first time in 1977. It's been a favorite ever since. The good thing about this dish is there is no recipe. I ask for meat and cheese ends at my area grocery store so no two salads are ever the same!!! experiment with your favorites and enjoy, use your imagination!
- 1 head washed lettuce
- 2 tomatoes (handful of grape or cherry tomatoes)
- 1 sliced onion (scallions,vidalia,red etc.)
- 1 sliced cucumber
- broccoli (optional) or cauliflower (optional) or carrots (optional) or green beans, any fresh vegtable (optional)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 1⁄2 lb cooked mini ravioli
- 1⁄2 lb ham
- 1⁄2 lb turkey
- 1⁄2 lb mixed hard cheese (swiss,mozerella,cheddar,provolone etc)
- 1⁄4 lb salami or 1⁄4 lb pepperoni, etc
- olive, any kind mix and match (optional)
- marinated artichoke hearts (optional)
- hot pepper (optional)
- roasted peppers (optional)
- chickpeas (optional)
- bacon bits (optional)
- crouton (optional)
- Italian dressing (or any of your choice)
- Hard boil an egg for each person.
- cook mini ravioli (Rinse in cold water).
- refrigerate eggs and ravioli.
- In a large salad bowl:.
- Start with the lettuce, add all the vegtables, toss lightly.
- Chunk meat and cheese ends(if you have sliced meats and cheeses cut in strips) add to salad bowl, Ravioli, toss lightly.
- top with olives, artichoke hearts. croutons etc. I keep the eggs whole. I let my family and guests put on their own dressing.
- A little secret: Do a some prep work, cook eggs and ravoli, cut vegtables, meats and cheeses, In plastic bags store in refrigerator. Toss together and serve.
We really liked this salad. Did not add the ravioli, or the croutons, being gluten-intolerant. Used most of the other selection of suggested ingredients. My own Italian dressing worked perfectly. Made this for PAC 2008. Please post more recipes as this was great.
I made this for dinner tonight. It was wonderful, Ihad never thought of adding marinated artichoke hearts to a salad but it was wonderful. I set out almost all of your optional ingredients and let the family make their own salad. This was a big hit, I will continue to offer these ingredients since everyones tastes are different. Thank you for posting, this is my favorite salad too.......Stephanie