Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Here is my secret recipe! I was in a hurry to make beans one day and discovered if you rinse the canned pinto beans in hot water and add to the other ingredients, it did not taste much different that the old fashioned soaking method. This is also the non-alcoholic version of borracho beans. I am sure that you can sub a beer for some of the water and it would taste good too. All amounts are a guestimation.
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces (I use Wright's)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can rotel tomatoes and green chilies, original, do NOT drain
- 4 (16 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed in hot water (I use Bush's)
- 2 -4 tablespoons fiesta brand pinto bean seasoning, season to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Cook bacon & onion together in large pot. Do not add oil.
- When bacon and onion are almost done, stir in garlic. Do not drain bacon grease!
- Add can of rotel with juice. Stir all together.
- Add pinto beans, seasoning to taste, and water to cover the beans. I just pour the seasoning in and stir until the water turns orangey-red.
- Cook on low until ready to serve.
- Add cilantro & serve.
- I also make this in a crockpot and simmer it all day, nobody will ever know the difference!