Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is something my mom came up with when she started to work. I was in 3rd grade and needed to take my turn to cook (5 kids, 5 work days, each with a night for dinner prep, each with a night for dishes) so it had to be easy. I have never met a kid who didn't like it. It also lends itself to mutations like a Mexican flavor or Italian or added veggies.
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) box macaroni and cheese mix
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- garlic powder (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon instant minced onion
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Store brand or Kraft Mac-n-cheese will work fine for this.
- In a large pot, boil 6 qts. water.
- Boil macaroni as directed on package.
- Reserve cheese sauce packet.
- Meanwhile, season ground beef with salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried onions. Brown beef until no longer pink.
- Drain macaroni when done, return to pot.
- Add cooked meat, tomato sauce and dry cheese sauce packet. Mix well and heat gently on stove top or pack into baking dish, cover and bake at 400 deg. F. for 15 -20 minutes.
- We sometimes add a dash of Tapatio hot sauce.
- This multipies well: to each box of ma-n-cheese, add 1/2#meat and 8 oz. tomato sauce. So for 12 servings (feeds 2 adults, 2 teen boys and 2 toddlers) use 3 boxes mac, 1 1/2# meat and 3-8oz cans tomato sauce. Just adjust size of pot and quantity of water used to boil pasta.