Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
One of my dear friends shared this recipe with me. It has become a favorite in our home, especially on chillier mornings.
- 3 cups quick-cooking oatmeal (not instant)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- additional brown sugar, for serving
- additional milk, for serving
- Mix all ingredients (except the additional brown sugar & additional milk) together.
- Pour into a greased square glass baking dish and bake at 350 F for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick tests clean.
- Scoop each portion into a small bowl, then pour a splash of milk over each- it should be just enough to be absorbed by the oatmeal (not soupy).
- Sprinkle each with some brown sugar to taste and serve warm.
OMG, so good. Okay I cooked mine 30 minutes and I added about 1 tbl. of Vanilla extract, it was great. I really could see adding a diced tart apple.
This was pretty good--a nice, basic baked oatmeal recipe. However, I found that a lot of the "filling' was at the bottom of the pan and the oats were floating on top of it...so, the texture ended up being just a bit off. Next time I'm thinking about making baked oatmeal, I'll definitely let it sit in the fridge overnight (I think this helps to prevent the separation).
This is really really really good. I've already made two batches, and each of them last me a week. I end up adding about two large chopped up apples to it to make it a little more balanced for breakfast. I also only use about 3/4 of the required sugar and fat, and it still tastes amazing. I think it spoils after about 6 days in the fridge, just in case anyone was wondering..