Recipe by Lowfat Linda
My family loves this dish which tastes especially good as left-overs. This is the perfect middle of the week meal when you don't want the pressure of coming up with several dishes to serve. It's a very healthy meal -- I recommend using either whole wheat or PLUS pasta and 'no salt added' diced tomatoes and then seasoning the ground beef with salt and pepper. Hint: If you're really in a rush and need to save time, use powdered garlic instead of fresh; use 1 can stewed tomatoes in place of 1 can diced tomatoes and the chopped onions; and either omit the carrots or use the pre-shredded carrots you can find in the produce section at larger grocery stores.
Top Review by AMHobbs
Was great!! Easy to make!! Even my autistic 2 year old ate it! And there's not many mixed meals he will eat!! Used ground turkey and cut the calories in half. I think maybe needs a little Italian Seasoning though. Might try some next time I make it...
- 907.18 g ground beef
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (either chopped or use a press)
- 453.59 g bag frozen spinach
- 236.59 ml carrot, shredded
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes
- 411.06 g can crushed tomatoes (Whole Foods has an excellent Crushed Tomatoes with Rosemary, but you can use regular crushed tomatoe)
- 226.79 g macaroni (Barilla Plus elbows are best)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put a pot of water on to boil.
- Brown the ground beef with the chopped onions and garlic.
- Add pasta to boiling water -- cook as long as advised by box directions.
- Put frozen spinach and shredded carrots into a microwave-safe bowl and zap (cook in the microwave) for 7 minutes (stir at about 4 minutes).
- Add both cans of tomatoes to cooked meat, stir, and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add spinach and carrots to the meat mixture, stir, and simmer for a few minutes.
- Drain pasta and place in a HUGE serving dish.
- Put meat and veggie mixture into the HUGE serving dish and mix thoroughly with the pasta.
- Serve hot.