Lowfat Linda's Note:
My family loves this dish which tastes especially good as left-overs. This is the perfect middle of the week meal when you don't want the pressure of coming up with several dishes to serve. It's a very healthy meal -- I recommend using either whole wheat or PLUS pasta and 'no salt added' diced tomatoes and then seasoning the ground beef with salt and pepper. Hint: If you're really in a rush and need to save time, use powdered garlic instead of fresh; use 1 can stewed tomatoes in place of 1 can diced tomatoes and the chopped onions; and either omit the carrots or use the pre-shredded carrots you can find in the produce section at larger grocery stores.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (either chopped or use a press)
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen spinach
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (Whole Foods has an excellent Crushed Tomatoes with Rosemary, but you can use regular crushed tomatoe)
- 8 ounces macaroni (Barilla Plus elbows are best)
- 1Put a pot of water on to boil.
- 2Brown the ground beef with the chopped onions and garlic.
- 3Add pasta to boiling water -- cook as long as advised by box directions.
- 4Put frozen spinach and shredded carrots into a microwave-safe bowl and zap (cook in the microwave) for 7 minutes (stir at about 4 minutes).
- 5Add both cans of tomatoes to cooked meat, stir, and simmer for a few minutes.
- 6Add spinach and carrots to the meat mixture, stir, and simmer for a few minutes.
- 7Drain pasta and place in a HUGE serving dish.
- 8Put meat and veggie mixture into the HUGE serving dish and mix thoroughly with the pasta.
- 9Serve hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jenny-Approved Hamburger-Spinach-Tomato-Pasta One Dish Meal
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 406.1
- Calories from Fat 162
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 203.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 28.7 g