Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
One of the members of my cooking and recipes group made this great soup for one of our events... I was pleasantly surprised when I tasted this, and it actually tasted like pizza! It is REALLY GOOD!
- 2 (793.78 g) can Italian-style tomatoes
- 473.18 ml beef broth
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red peppers or 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 236.59 ml mushroom, sliced
- 226.79 g smoked link sausage, thinly sliced
- 4.92 ml fresh oregano, chopped
- 236.59 ml shredded mozzarella cheese or 236.59 ml cheddar cheese
- In a crock pot, combine tomatoes, broth, onion, pepper, mushrooms, sausage and oregano.
- Cover, and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- When done, spoon into individual bowls.
- Top with cheese.
What a wonderful recipe! This soup has been bubbling away all day in the crockpot, and the freezer is now well-stashed with soups for when autumn strikes! I had great fun making this, throwing in extra ingredients to my heart's content which, for me, is one of the great joys of soup-making. Just had to add garlic (4 cloves minced) and 2 leeks (sliced) and an extra onion: I love the wonderful blend of flavours of those three together. Just had to add some rosemary, thyme and sage to the oregano. And just had to double the mushrooms. I used my Vegetable Stock instead of the beef stock and Aldi's Italian tomatoes which, because they have less juice than any other brand I know, enabled me to include a generous cup of merlot. The sausages made this into such a satisfying and hearty meal. :) All the flavours blended beautifully and it tasted superb. Thank you Jenn - and thank you, Linda, for sharing this recipe on Zaar. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.