Recipe by QueenJellyBean
I have tried a bunch of recipes and tweaked them just a little here and there and then found two recipes I liked and I was still changing bits and pieces so then I came up with this recipe. It tastes amazingly quite a bit like the egg flower soup at my favorite restaurant. Sometimes I throw in a 1/2 - 1 cup of ground pork that I have fried just until no longer pink but not deeply browned.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion (not much of the green part)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup chopped water chestnut
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrot
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour chicken broth into a large saucepan. Stir in salt, ginger, chives and water chestnuts.
- Bring to boil.
- Add frozen peas and carrots.
- Cook until the peas and carrots are no longer frozen.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and water until smooth.
- Whisk the 3 eggs well. Drizzle egg through a fork into the broth mixture.
- If your heat is not at least at medium you will make scrambled eggs and if you do not pour through a fork it will be clumpy.
- Once the eggs have been added, stir in the cornstarch mixture gradually unitl the soup is your desired consisitency.
- I like my soup only somewhat thickened. "Dropping" the egg is easier if you have two people. One to stir the soup while the other person pours the egg through the fork into the soup.